Monday, November 14, 2011

The Only Thing I Have To Fear Is ....

This morning I was introduced to one of the creepiest, scariest memes on the web. It's called Take This Lollipop. If you have not yet seen it you can find it here. (Warning: this meme is NOT for the faint of heart.) It got me thinking about fear. What is fear? Why do we fear? What do I need to fear? With these questions in mind I grabbed my RWS deck and threw a simple three card spread.




Well this is interesting. I was expecting at least one Sword and I am surprised to see all those Cups.

The Seven of Cups shows a man in silhouette. He gazes upon seven golden chalices, each filled with it's own treasures. But which to choose? Wealth as depicted by the cup of jewels? Fame and Power as shown by the wreath? Adventure represented by the Castle? Psychic Ability and Wisdom as promised by the snake?

Our man can not choose and suffers an "paralysis of analysis." Seven's represent Victory in the Minor Arcana. In this case, victory with Cups mean giving in totally to our emotional and creative natures. Swimming in the waters of daydreaming. Unfortunately, when we do this we lose touch with reality and the brilliant visions fills all of our senses. Without the balance of Swords intellect, the Wands passion or Pentacles grounding we can not move forward and act upon our dreams.

Likewise, our Page of Cups spends all his time daydreaming. He does nothing but play on the swingset in his mind. He has no responsibilities as the King and Queen do and does not have the introspective nature of our Knight. Notice that the waters behind him are getting a bit rough, but our Page is so engaged in his fantasies he does not notice.

Together these cards sound the warning in me to not get lost in my dreams, or in the idea of being successful. I must remember to keep taking action. Do not live in my hopes and dreams (as I have a tendency to do) but to allow passion and intellect to drive the dreams to the destination.

The Empress is the Universal Mom. The is the archetypical female, full of love and compassion and generosity. But our Empress stands for much more than the uber-Soccer Mom. She represents the sensuous side of us and the natural side of us. Her nine pearled necklace and twelve starred crown represent the nine planets and twelve signs of the zodiac and reinforce the connection she has to the universe. A river flows next to her and shows her connection to the universal life force and also to emotions. The Empress is about passion and living by instincts and intuition. 

Her appearance tells me that I fear letting go and giving in. I have a tendency to over intellectualize everything in attempts to distance myself from them. I do not live by my emotions and will not let my instincts and intuition guide me. The Empress shows me it's okay to let my intuition and emotions guide me.

All these cards have the common thread of telling me that I must have balance. I must balance the dreamer  with the go-getter. I have to marry the emotional, passionate and creative side with the intellectual and logical side to move forward and be successful in my endeavors, both business and pleasure.

I can't be afraid to dive in the waters and take the chance. I just need to remember to take the life preserver with me.

Allow both the dreamer and the cynic to live within me.

No comments:

Post a Comment